American Express have increased the sign up bonus on the Hilton HHonors Surpass card to 85,000 points if you spend $3,000 or more within three months of account opening.
- Annual fee of $75 is not waived
- Welcome bonus is not available to those who have or who have had this card in the past.
- Card earns at the following rates:
- 12x points per dollar on purchases with a participating hotel or resort within the Hilton Portfolio
- 6x points per dollar U.S restaurants
- 6x points per dollar at U.S supermarkets
- 6x points per dollar at U.S gas stations
- 3x points per dollar on all other purchases
- Card comes with complimentary gold status, if you spend $40,000 or more in a calendar year you will receive HHonors Diamond status through the end of next year
- Free priority pass membership
Ponce, Puerto Rico Hotels | Hilton Ponce Golf & Casino Resort
One More Thing!
The standard bonus is 60,000 points, but this card has peaked at 80,000 points a few times. The 85,000 is the highest public bonus for the Surpass card I’ve ever seen, so if you’re in need of Hilton points it’s probably a good bet. However, if you are a Avid Credit Card Joint reader you will know there is a way to get 50,000 HHonors points with this Surpass credit card without getting a credit pull.
True 50k isn’t 85k, but 50,000 with a credit pull is work 35,000 points.
What is this 50k you keep mentioning?
Originally posted here:
We found this link, that upgrades your credit card WITHOUT a credit pull.
So all you need to do is have an existing card that is eligible, I had a HHonors regular card, so that worked. I didn’t apply for the HHonors card, rather I downgraded the Amex Delta Platinum card that I got last month with 60k. For those that read our blog frequently, they would have nabbed that card as well. now it is really putting my credit pull to good use with this bonus 50k on the Surpass card.
What else do you need to do?
There is a spending requirement of $3,000 in 90 days, like all credit card signups.
HT: DoC and Uscreditcardguide
Apply for the Hilton Surpass card for 85,000, or just upgrade for 50,000 bonus points.
When staying at a hotel, everyone likes to get a free upgrade to a better room. There are many ways to get a better room, and we will share these tips with you. No we are not talking about paying for a better room with cash or points, we are talking about free upgrades.
- The $20 trick. The way it works is you hand the clerk $20 with you license, and pray that s/he will upgrade you. Check out this site for more information. We tried this, and it did not work. The woman at the counter said, I think you gave this too me by mistake. I told her “eh, that’s for you!” She replied “Thank you”, and did not give me an upgrade.
- Ask for a complimentary room upgrade when you check in. This may or may not work, but hey it’s worth a try.
- Email the manager if you can get a room upgrade a week before your trip. This usually does work (if there is availability).
Check out my conversation with a hotel manager for my recent hotel stay.
First I emailed firstname.lastname@example.org
“What is the manager of XXXXXX properties email?”
The reply was forthcoming
Dear Credit Card Joint,
Thank you for your message to Hyatt Hotels Corporation. I welcome the opportunity to assist you at Hyatt Regency xxxxxxxxx.
Please find below the email address of the front office manager:
I look forward to assist you further. Thank you for choosing Hyatt.
Hyatt Sales Associate
Then I composed an email to the manager
Hi, I will be coming to your property over the weekend. We selected you hotel as it is the nicest one in our area, the only 4 star Hyatt within 50 miles of my home.
I was wondering if I would be able to get an upgraded room since it was my wife’s birthday. I am a Platinum member with Hyatt for already 2 years. I appreciate your time, and look forward to saying hello in person.
Within 12 hours I got a reply from the manager:
Mr Credit Card Joint,
Thank you for your kind email and for selecting out hotel. We very much appreciate your loyalty as a Platinum member and I would be happy to assist. I have upgraded you to one of our View King rooms for your stay to make it special. I will be here on Saturday and look forward to meeting you as well.
All the best,
Front Office Manager
The easiest way to get a hotel room upgrade is by emailing the manager. We had success on our recent try, why don’t you try it too?
A small note to the manager a little before your trip is the first thing to try for an upgrade. If this doesn’t work, then you can try the $20 trick or ask again by check in.